• Steve Mummery

Getting married in Bali

Updated: Oct 24, 2019

Always dreamed of getting married in Bali?  Then chat to me as it's one of my most favourite places and I can help make your dream become reality.

It need not be that hard to do. All we have to ensure is that all the legal paperwork is done.

Here are your choices;

1. Get married according to Indonesia Law, or;

2. Get married according to Australian Law

Indonesian Law

Generally, Indonesian nationals, and persons of any other nationality may marry in Indonesia provided they hold a religion recognised by the Indonesian Government (Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, or Christian Catholic/Protestant).

Under the Indonesian Marriage Law marriages may be performed by Ministers of Religion, officers of the Kantor Catatan Sipil (Civil Registry Office), or the Kantor Urusan Agama (Office of Religious Affairs).

For a marriage to be legal, it must be conducted according to the religion, and conform to the laws of the countries of the parties involved.

In order for an Australian citizen to marry in Indonesia, it is necessary to make an application for a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage at the Australian Embassy in Jakarta or at the Australian Consulate-General in Denpasar. Application forms are available from the Consular Counter at both of these offices or on the Smartraveller website.

To obtain a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage you need to:

  • Make an appointment at least ONE work day prior to apply in person at the Embassy or Consulate-General during office hours

  • sign an application form in front of a Consular Officer (applicable only to the Australian National)

  • show the original passports of both parties as proof of identity

  • provide original proof of dissolution of marriage / marriages from both parties (if any)

In most cases the Certificate can be issued while you wait.

It is preferable that applicants applying for a Certificate from the Embassy in Jakarta do so in person. If this is not possible applications may be processed via post, however the application form must be signed before a person authorised to witness Statutory Declarations (including, in Indonesia, an Indonesian Public Notary). Contact the Consular Section at consular.jakarta@dfat.gov.au for further details on how to apply via post or registered mail.  

Both parties must be of the same religion.

For more detail on this click here.

Australian Law

You must sign a Notice Of Intended Marriage no more than 18 months prior and no less than 30 days prior to the date of your intended marriage.

Your signatures must be witnessed by an official and lodged with your celebrant no less than 30 days prior to your intended marriage.

An Australian celebrant can fly to Bali to perform your ceremony, however the legal vows, paperwork (declaration of intent to marry and marriage certificates) must be signed and witnessed on Australian soil.

So as you can see, there's an easy way and there's a harder way to go about it.  If you'd like to talk through it more with me, contact me here.

I lay out the steps to getting married in Bali on my website here.

Steve Mummery has been authorised by the Attorney General to officiate marriages according to Australian law.  For reviews of his ceremonies, check his website at smcelebrant.com.au or facebook.com/smcelebrant/reviews.

Subscribe to get more Insights





©2019 by Steve Mummery Celebrant

|   Proud member of Australian Federation of Civil Celebrants